After years abroad, Jamil returns to Tunisia and takes a job as an assistant in an old bookshop. The owner, Tarek, is a youngman whose wife yearns to follow her dreams of musical stardom. Tarek's widowed mother forms a bond with the prodigal Jamil just as her son's marriage begins to crack each story line within this charming film is a book in its self; director Nawfel Sahen-Ettaba carefully creates a web of relationships, full of human contradictions and intrigue. After its debut at the Carthage Film Festival in 2003, El Kotbia became an award-winnig festival favorite, screening at Berlin, Tribeca and Edinburgh among others.
Cast & Credits
- Scriptwriter: Tarek Ben Chabaane
- Cinematographer: Gilles Porte
- Editor: Mounira Bhar, Nadia Ben Rachid
- Composer: Julien Ome, Kais Sellami
- Cast (in alphabetical order): Ahmed El Haffiene, Khaled Abdel Jaleel, Martin Gafsi, Yadh Beji