Dubai International Film Festival 2013 Media Guidelines
All persons registered as media for the tenth edition of Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) must pick up their DIFF badge accreditation at the Media Registration office in the Majlis Al Mina Ballroom, Mina A’Salem from Thursday, December 5th through to Sunday, 14th from 9am to 5:30pm.
Media delegates must wear their DIFF badge at all times whenever they are attending the Festival.
The DIFF Press and Publicity Office is located in the Madinat Arena, Madinat Jumeirah (Festival Headquarters) and will be open from 9am to 10pm during the festival but will be closed for security clearance on the afternoon of the Opening and Closing Day.
Please note for those picking up badge accreditation on Friday, December 6th and Saturday, December 14th, please do this before 1pm from the Media Registration office in the Majlis Al Mina Ballroom, Mina A’Salem.
The DIFF badge is a photo identity card and will display your name, media outlet and also indicate the level of access you are eligible for. Please note that if you cannot produce your DIFF badge upon request, you may be asked to leave the premises. The badges are non-transferable.
For media who haven’t completed the accreditation process ahead of the Festival they are required to submit their business card and an approval letter from their media outlet. The process approval can take up to 24 hours but we will attempt to issue accreditation as soon as possible.
As an accredited member of the media, you can attend the following events at DIFF:
- Press Conferences
- Press Screenings
- Select Industry Office Events
- Viewing Library
- Internet Lounge
- DIFF Press and Publicity Office (P&P)
- You will have access to four complimentary regular screening and gala screenings passes a day that you will have access to obtain through your badge – please note you can only have one ticket per screening.
Separate invitations are required to attend the opening, closing, tribute ceremonies and post-event parties. Invitations to the events are issued by the concerned departments and sponsors.
Interviews with film crew members, jury members and festival guests will be held at the Koubba Bar in the Al Qasr Hotel. Please refrain from shooting at unauthorised venues. You can book appointments to use the interview room through the DIFF Press and Publicity Office.
Red Carpet access is limited to media photographers and TV crews only. Accredited members must collect their Red Carpet stickers between 2pm and 5pm on a daily basis from the DIFF Press and Publicity Office to ensure access.
Photo-calls will be held within the photo-call area located at designated areas within the Festival Headquarters at Madinat Jumeirah.
Facilities for Accredited Media
The DIFF Press and Publicity Office is open daily to media only, from 9am to 10pm during the Festival.
It is important that the computers in the Internet Lounge are used solely for activity related to the Festival. You are kindly requested to avoid occupying a terminal for more than 2 consecutive hours at any given point.
The DIFF Press and Publicity Office is equipped with various IT equipment for the convenience of the media.
The DIFF Press and Publicity Office has been created for all media and we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- The P&P office is accessible only to authorised DIFF badge holders.
- Please ensure proper care of all personal belongings. DIFF Management will not be responsible for any loss or theft.
- Any damage to DIFF property will be duly penalised.
- No food, gum and beverages (including water) are permitted near the workstations under any circumstances.
Red Carpet Access: Opening Night and General Procedure
All media outlets interested in covering the opening night red carpet must confirm the name and details of the photographer or videographer and presenter representing them on the red carpet. Details of the crew members must be sent to the DIFF Press and Publicity Office by 12 noon on Thursday, December 5, 2013.
Accredited and confirmed media photographers and TV crew must collect Red Carpet stickers from the DIFF Press and Publicity Office between 2pm and 5pm on a daily basis.
All media positions will be pre-allocated in advance by DIFF Press and Publicity Office and will be clearly marked with signs. Media from each territory will be positioned next to each other for efficiency.
The Opening Night red carpet will open at 6:30pm; therefore all media must set up in their positions on the red carpet by 5:30 pm, the red carpet will be closed to all media by 6:15pm, so please ensure you arrive in time to secure your position to avoid disappointment. DIFF Press and Publicity staff will be responsible for setting up the media in their positions and the subsequent smooth running of the Red Carpet.
On regular Gala Screenings the red carpet will open at 7:00pm; therefore all media must set up in their positions on the red carpet by 6:00 pm, the red carpet will be closed to all media by 7:45pm.
The DIFF Management and the Press and Publicity office will not be responsible for the loss of any Red Carpet stickers once distributed.
There will be positions for television crews and for clusters of print journalists along the edge of the Red Carpet in order to interview VIP guests in attendance.
The main photography pen will be positioned on the edge of the Red Carpet with pre-allocated positions so accredited photographers can capture the guests as they arrive. Additional sections along the Red Carpet will be allocated for accredited media photographers and TV crews.
The photography pen will be managed by DIFF Press and Publicity staff to ensure all notable guests stop in front of the pen for pictures before they proceed along the red carpet. DIFF Press and Publicity staff will be on hand to help facilitate where possible, specific interview requests for accredited media.
All notable guests will be encouraged to stop at interview and photography positions by talent escorts or DIFF Press and Publicity staff. However, as with any large media event there can be no guarantee that these guests will be able to stop at all interview positions.
Non-adherence to filming policy can lead to DIFF badge forfeiture.
A team of Getty/Wire Image photographers and DIFF in-house photographers will be capturing every aspect of the Festival.
Photography will include:
- Celebrity Guests
- Red Carpet Arrivals
- DIFF Photo-calls
- Dinners & Parties
- General Festival Photography
Event images will be available to download completely free of charge from the DIFF website: www.dubaifilmfest.com or through the dedicated media site: www.diffmediacentre.com or by subscription from www.gettyimages.com and will be available at the end of each day’s event. Please contact the DIFF Press and Publicity Office for any assistance.
As accredited media you can use your DIFF Badge to obtain up to 4 tickets per day for DIFF’s regular public screenings one day in advance or for screenings on the same day depending on seat availability.
Please note that if you book a ticket and do not use it that your advance ticketing benefits may be removed.
You can obtain tickets at any DIFF Box Office (please see the DIFF Visitors Guide and Official Film Schedule for all locations and hours). The Box Office within the Festival Headquarters at the Madinat Jumeirah is open from 9am to 6pm daily. All screening tickets are subject to availability.
You can use your DIFF Badge in the Stand-by Queue at DIFF’s regular public screenings to gain access, depending on availability.
Please bear in mind that you will need to be present at the venue 15 minutes before show time in order to guarantee your seating at the theatre. Persons showing up less than 15minutes prior to the scheduled start time may have their seat released to the Stand-by queue.
Media are requested to contact the DIFF Press and Publicity staff:
- Kindly log interview requests at the DIFF Press and Publicity office.
- In most cases, a minimum of 24 hours may be required to organise any interview.
- The media may request interviews with visiting talent and guests prior to the start of the Festival. However, please note that interview slots are limited and approval of interviews is at the discretion of the celebrity and not the PR Agencies or Festival Management.
Press Conferences and Press Screenings
A daily schedule of Press Conferences and Press Screenings can be requested at the DIFF Press and Publicity office.
- The advisory will be updated and shared on a regular basis with any changes via email or through the media desk at the DIFF Press and Publicity office.
Film Screening Facilities
- The Festival offers a Viewing Library located in the Festival Headquarters, Madinat Jumeirah with individual monitors and head phones available for you to view films, trailers and electronic press kits up and are uploaded 48 hours in advance of screenings.
- You may book a viewing monitor for up to 3 hours at a time. This is based on a ‘first come, first serve’ policy. Please check out 1 movie or 5 trailers at a time.
- A person reserving a viewing monitor needs to show up within 15 minutes of the specified time. Arriving later than that, may risk forfeiting your place.
- The films and trailers can only be viewed in the Viewing Library and cannot leave the premises.
House Rules for Media
Whilst we hope you enjoy the Festival, we request that you respect the press guidelines to ensure smooth functioning at all times.
- All TV crews and photographers must film the Festival only from the designated areas attached to the event such. Any unauthorised filming may lead to cancellation of media accreditation.
- Please respect the DIFF Press and Publicity staff. You are required to adhere to rules. Failure to comply with rules may result in media being escorted off the premises.
- Please do not attempt to film, photograph or interview at any unauthorised location without prior permission from the DIFF Press and Publicity team.
- Media will be required to carry their DIFF badge at all times.
- Please do not attempt to access any areas that out of bounds and for which media are not accredited and authorised.
KEY MEDIA CONTACTS
Head of Press and Publicity
DIFF Head of Communications
Local and Regional media
Levant Arabic Press
GCC Media and North Africa